The City College of today had its modest begining in the City School, which was founded on January 6, 1879 by the Sadharan Brahmo Samaj. Late Ananda Mohan Bose, the then President of the Samaj had borne the initial expenses of the foundation of the school. Late Sivanath Sastri and other promonent members of the society were actively associated in founding the school.
In 1881, only two years after its establishment, the City School was raised to the rank of a College when F.A. classes were started. Since then, the college made rapid strides towards the advancement of higher education. The B.A. were opened in 1884 and thus within five years of its establishment, the institution developed into a first-grade college.
In January 1905, City College was placed under the control of a society registered under Act XXI of 1860 called, "The City College Institution", which is now known as Brahmo Samaj Education Society.
The Commerce Department of the City College was started in 1939 with a view to making education more utilitarian. With the progress and expansion of trade, commerce and industry, it was realised that education in Commerce Subject was also essential to creat trained personal who would operate the industrial and commercial concerns of the country.
The South Calcutta Branch was opened in 1946. The main object, in view of the disturbances then prevailing, was to provide education at an institution in a safe zone for the students of South Calcutta. It was started in November, 1946, at the premises of the South Suburban Branch School at 110, Lansdowne Road. In July, 1952 the South Calcutta Branch had to be shifted to the premises at 50, Mahim Halder Street, Kalighat. The Late Horendra Coomer Mukherjee, the then popular Governor of West Bengal, laid the foundation stone of the present South Calcutta Building on January 6, 1954. The opening ceremony of the South Calcutta Building was performed on January 6, 1955.
With effect from June 1, 1961 the South City College Branch of the City College branched off into three separate colleges, namely Sivanath Sastri College (Morning), Heramba Chandra College (Day) and Prafulla Chandra College (Evening).
Thus was born Heramba Chandra College. As an unit of Brahmo Samaj Education Society the college is marching ahead with its academic flag held high by the brilliant performances of its students in different examinations as well as exceptional achievements in the sports arena. The college, conspicuous by the high level of commerce education, has also evolved in recent years by opening honours courses in subjects like Bengali, English, Economics, Education and Geography in addition to Political Science and History which were being taught at the college since 1963.